When the clock strikes cocktail hour, the Connaught Bar comes into its own, pouring innovation into fresh concoctions and presenting timeless classics. If, however, you find yourself at home wanting to recreate a new discovery, serving the perfect drink is down to the finest ingredients, technique – and a little creative flair:
- Put the ingredients in the cocktail shaker with plenty of ice. Ensure the lid is firmly secured before you begin to mix.
- Place your left thumb on the lid of the shaker to keep it closed. Meanwhile hold the base of the shaker with your right hand. Push the shaker away from your body – the movement should come from your wrist.
- Continue in this way, shaking until the liquid is mixed and cold enough. Look for the outside of the cocktail shaker turning frosty as a sign the cocktail is at the perfect point to serve.
- Remove the lid of the cocktail shaker.
- Pour the mixed cocktail into your chosen glass with or without a strainer, depending on the intended texture. Use a double strainer for a completely clean cocktail with no sediment.
- If the cocktail is properly mixed, there will be a uniform layer of ice that forms on top of the drink to maintain the perfect sipping temperature.
- For a final flourish, add your choice of garnish.